[Planned cities are really creepy! This is close to where I live...bizarrely suburban]Sorry to all of you who endured my last post about feeling sorry for myself. Guess I feeling a wee bit miserable--but now that (1) it seems as though the evil spirit has been quieted, (2) my tummy feels better, (3) it looks like "fusca" repair is going to come in under $200...things are looking a bit brighter.
So, not wanting to let my troubles at home (with home including me, the cat, and the poltergeist) get in the way of work...decided to head back to the municipality to follow up with the kind folks in charge of "the division of informatics." Aside from a graveyard of ancient computer parts and a lot of disgruntled paraguayan nerds crammed into rows of desks (not even the dignity of a cubicle), the division of informatics was home to the de-factor photographer for the municipality. He very very kindly plugged my external hard-drive into his computer and proceeded to dump over 1,000 photos into my shiny new "digital photos archive" folder. The digital age is fabulous--not too long ago, a slide projector was a standard part of the anthropological took kit, as it were.
Anyhow, some of the old photos of Ciudad del Este in it's infant stage are pretty amazing...and I thought I would put a few of them up for you to see. And to proove that I'm almost a for-real academic doing scholarly things like "archival research." It at least sounds impressive!

Ciudad del Este--founded as Puerto Presidente Stroessner on February 3, 1957. The name was changed in 1991 after the fall of hte Storessner dictatorship.

The bridge between Ciudad del Este and its sister city of Foz do Iguaçu turned the paraguayan city into a busy commerical center.
The finished bridge...at this point connecting two sleepy little provincial towns.
First skyscrapers (the big banks and commerical houses) being built in the 1960s.
No comments:
Post a Comment