Thursday, December 10, 2009

Pocket change and lots of kiddies

Today, I spent doing what I love best--hanging out with kids! Actually, the thought of hanging out with the munchkins is rather anxiety-inducing, but decided that fieldwork leads me to all sorts of stress-inducing situations--what is a girl to do? In this case, fieldwork involved working on some of the other projects that Fundación Paraguaya has going other than small-scale credits to clients engaged in possibly-piratical business practices (excellent alliteration if I do say so myself!). One of their new programs offers financial education to school-age children called Aflatoun...read, how to play nice with your friends and keep a piggy-bank. And the outing gave me a chance to play around with my new digital camera and work as the foundation's amateur photographer for the day (thanks to the Wenner Gren Dissertation Fieldwork Grant for the camera and as close as I could get to "informed consent" from a herd of small children).
Here are the "aflatounes" counting their savings and generally running amok. I think I'd rather stick to participant-observation with their mothers!




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment